Friday, January 23, 2009

Exercising FAITH!

Faith is something that is easy to talk about, encourage others, think about, and even have. I liken it to the muscles in our body - they are there, but will only grow and strengthen when we exercise it. This was a concept I learnt many years ago, but recently I was reminded of it again.

Year 2009 is a year of Faith and Trust in God for Gerald & I, both personally and as a family. And as we speak of it, (naturally), we get tested in precisely the area we want to grow in: Faith.

God is a Loving God. That's a fact. The things that happen to us and that we go through do not change that fact. This is something I need faith to grasp and accept. When circumstances that aren't so nice befall upon us, I learnt and am still learning that I need to hang on to the Word of God and keep meditating on it. Yes, naturally I worry, but I have to consciously "fight" against worrying. I have to consciously remind myself His Words and His Promises.
Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
I've been reading a book by Cho Yongi called "The 4th Dimension, Vol 2". He talks about visualization. I learnt that in exercising faith, part of it constitutes visualizing what is good, what God's words promise. I also learnt that faith is about CHOICE. We choose what we want to believe in and what we meditate on. 
Philippians 4:8
Finally brother, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pre, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things. 



I have to keep reminding myself to push away those oh-so-prevalent negative thoughts. And it doesn't help that I am a worst-case scenario person. But I choose to dwell on God's words. Sometimes it seems naive and foolish, but I'll choose to please God by total abandonment of trust and faith in Him. I'll even rather err on the side of foolishness by just clinging on to Him.

Another lesson of faith I learnt recently is this: Faith welds power out of God (whether He likes it or not, to put it bluntly). In Luke8:43-47, the bible talks about the story of the bleeding woman. When she touched Jesus' cloak, she was healed because she told herself that if she does that, she will be healed. And Jesus felt power left Him even though He did not speak or dispense any power (willingly). Faith welds power out of God.

God, I only have You to turn to. Only You can help me... Jesus, I will choose to have faith in you, that all good and perfect gifts come from above. You give good things to us. You will help me through! Lesson No. 1 of Faith for 2009! I look forward to great things cos Faith can cause the mountain to throw itself into the sea by speaking it. Help me to know you, love you, trust you and grow in my reliance and intimacy with You. I wanna know you more!!!

No comments: